Thursday, October 18, 2012

Preschool Interview / Screening Questions

The start of the preschool enrollment process is about 6 months away for us.  The group of moms I've gotten involved aren't very impressed by the local public preschool.  It has me doing a lot of thinking and worrying about whether the public preschool available for us will be right for Natalie, but at the same time, I feel like we don't have much choice.  Technically, I could get a job at night and we could pay for private preschool, but won't some of the same problems be evident throughout the elementary school and district?  To help me collect my thoughts, I've started a running list of questions.  As I keep telling my home visitor, my biggest frustration is the lack of information available. 


Initial questions:
  • Times and days run
  • How lottery works
  • How day and afternoon is selected
  • Can request a teacher or time?
  • Where can I get information!


 More detailed questions:
  • What does the average day look like?
  • Are there any special weekly activities?
  • How often is curriculum changed / rotated?
  • Is time spent on: art, music, reading aloud, exploring books, math, fine motor, gross motor?
  • What OT / PT services are available should we need them?  How quickly could we use them if a flare occured?
  • What are the routines and structures for the day?  (circle time, snacks, naps, potty, etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment