Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Letter H Week

Our printer had no ink this week, so we had no printables until the last day of letter H week.  

One of my favorite moments this week was Natalie noticing the letters on a trash can while we were waiting in line.  I forget what she thought it said, but I then said, don't you know some of those letters?  And when I pointed to each one, she knew it!  Not only am I proud of her for learning her letters, but I really love how she is noticing print and letters around her in everyday life. 

Books:
Hug by Jez Alborough
Harold and the Purple Crayon series
If You're Happy and You Know It by Jane Cabrera
Horns to Toes by Sandra Boynton
Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton
I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
In a People House by Dr Seuss
Hello, Amimals by Smriti Prasadam
Hello, Bugs by Smriti Prasadam
Hello, Baby by Mem Fox
The Big Honey Hunt by the Bernstiens
Happy Haunting, Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
I Wants Your Sound, Hound the Hound by Mo Willems
House for Hermit Crab by Eric Carle
Ghosts in the House by Kazuno Kohara
Hula Lullaby by Erin Eitter Kono


We did the letter H in mid-October, so we also did any books we could find with the word Halloween!  Natalie really liked Ghosts in the House the week before, so we read it again this week.  At least one of the times I read it, I emphasized the H sound in words that started with H.  There were a lot (how, hard, hung, haunted, house, hope, had, happily) for a book with so few words.  Ideally, I would have pointed to the H, too, but often I am holding the book in front of me with both hands, either reading laying down with her at bed time or at the table at lunch.

Activities:
Here are pictures of most of what we did this week. 












These are the ones I have no pictures for:
Pointing out H's in books we read
Singing this song with the H sound and adding all sorts of H words, including letting Natalie say some of her own
Decorating the letter H with Halloween stickers (pic coming soon)
Full alphabet puzzles
Watching letter H playlist



Letter H Playlist:

No comments:

Post a Comment