Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Letter Q Week


Its no surprise that Q gave me some challenges in finding books and items to explore.  I was really surprised by some of my book search results on Goodreads.  I can't believe we've only read one book with the word "quick" in the title and two with the word "queen."  Our regular librarin is on sabbatical, so I was bummed she wouldn't be able to share with me her list, like she did for J.  But I mentioned our plight to a different librarian in the children's room, and she quickly found us some Q titles.  Some of them are a bit on the longer side, but all of them were new to us.

Books:
Quiet Loud by Leslie Patricelli
Quiet! by Paul Bright
The Very Quiet Cricket by Eric Carle
The Patchwork Quilt by Valerie Flournoy
The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco
Mooshka: A Quilt Story by Julie Paschkis
Little Quack series by Lauren Thompson
Quack Quack, Maisy by Lucy Cousins
Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack: An Alphabetical Adventure by Doreen Cronin
Mr. Putney's Quacking Dog by Jon Agee
Quack! by Phyllis Root
Quick, Quack, Quick! (Step-into-Reading) by Marsha Arnold
I'm as Quick as a Cricket by Audrey Wood
Little Miss Quick by Roger Hargreaves
Stella, Queen of the Snow by Marie-Louise Gay
Tina Cocolina: Queen of the Cupcakes by Pablo Cartaya
Sally Jean, the Bicycle Queen by Cari Best
Celestine, Drama Queen by Penny Ives
Mermaid Queen by Shana Corey


Even though it doesn't say the word quarter, 26 Letters and 99 Cents is a letter and money counting book that features quarters and also has the letter Q.  Not too bad for a hard letter like Q.

That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown by Cressida Cowell also has no Q in the title, but strongly features a queen in the story.  I'll try to think of some more stories and nursery rhymes with queens to add to this list. 

You could also explore words with Q inside them (like we will probably have to do for letter X) some ideas: unique, squish, banquet, squirrel, square, squeal, squeak.  I might seize this opportunity to directly teach that letters and their sounds aren't just at the start of words. 

Another idea for a tricky letter week is to read general alphabet books.  I've made a list of our favorites.  (I'll link it before I finalize the post)

Other ideas: queen, quake, quarter, quite, quail, quote, question, quidditch (haha), quadrilateral


Activities:
Make Q into a queen - Natalie wanted to make another princess right away, so I promised we'd make Q into a queen.

Natalie helped take this picture. I'd also like to add that she addressed me as "your majesty" as we made this. 

Natalie insisted on a close up of the jewels. 
Watch Q videos
Read Q books
Magnets on sheets
Do-a-Dot markers on Q letter sheet (for the first time!)
Circle items that start with Q
Color over the Q's in a short passage
Lots of quacking :)
Make Q out of playdoh, both by hand and with a cookie cutter



Letter Q Playlist:


No comments:

Post a Comment