Saturday, May 19, 2012

Meatloaf: Wheat / Gluten and Egg Free

Growing up, meatloaf was hamburger and rice baked together.  I continued making it that way until the last year.  Once I learned about wheat free breadcrumbs and egg replacer for making meatballs, I quickly looked into applying it to meatloaf.  I took the simple recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cook book and swapped out the necessary parts.  As we've been saying around here a lot recently, easy-peasey-mac-and-cheesey!


This is everything I used except the scale and meat thermometer.
Here's the recipe:
2 "eggs" = 3 teaspoons of Enr G egg replacer powder + 4 tablespoons warm water
3/4 cup of milk
2/3 cup of wheat / gluten and egg free breadcrumbs (I used Gillian's)
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder (recipe called for a fresh onion, but seeing how we don't really like them we used the powder instead.)
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 pepper
1/2 basil
1 1/2 ground beef (we used 80/20)



This time around, we had a fresh package of hamburger so I decided to make two  so we would have more to freeze.  So, I made it in two bowls and filled two loaf pans.

I mixed the dry ingredients into the meat with the milk, then I put in the egg replacer.  I found that its a little less lumpy mixing with the milk right away.  Also, I always think I've used too much milk because its really soupy at first, but it absorbs as you mix.  Unlike meatballs, this will be more sloppy and paste like.
One mixed, one waiting. 

We use the type of meatloaf pan where the fat can drip out as it cooks and collects below the meat.  We still line it with foil to make clean up easier.

Cook it at 350F for an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes.  Where we are cooking two at once this time, we are going to make sure to check for the internal temperature of 160F.

These went into the fridge to wait until dinner time. 

One loaf makes three meals for our family.  We usually eat one and freeze two.  This time we'll eat one, maybe put some in the fridge for leftovers, and freeze the rest.  We're especially happy about this because with the summer coming up we don't want to run the oven for over an hour on a day when its 90 out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment