Most of these items were not things I asked for at my baby shower with my first child. I learned along the way that these items were more useful everyday than the items on Babie R Us's toy registry items list.
- Halo sleep sack swaddler (cotton or fleece depending on season)
- High contrast board books like White on Block, I Kissed the Baby, or Look! Look!
- Toy gym with high contrast
- Gund baby Snuff
- Links (I like this set by Sassy, but the alphabet set is pretty awesome, too!)
- High contrast teething ring
- Rosemary Well's collection of nursery rhymes
- Books outside the classics such titles by Sandra Boynton, Bob Shea, Mo Williems, Leslie Patricelli, and Rosemary Wells
- Tummy time / crib mirror or activity center
- Bumbo seat
- Good baby socks like Stride Rite's Robeez socks with the kick guard
- Small basket of baby toiletries: Johnson's night time lotion and bath, Baby Aquaphor, Tylenol infant drops, small corn starch, small baby oil, Vaseline (especially for a boy getting circumcised), infant tooth brush, Desitine cream, travel wipe case, etc.
- TY Pluffies toys such as Waddles and Dangles. (In our house, we also have two of the cats, a frog, an elephant, and a giraffe).
- Breastfeeding Made Simple
- Boppy pillow and pillowcase
- Sling such as a Maya wrap
- Palmer's cocoa butter lavender
- Hands-free book holder (great to use during feedings or while baby naps in arms)