Monday, October 1, 2012

Letter F Week



Natalie hasn't been showing much interest in the worksheets I print for her binder or the lacing cards and puzzles.  I'm starting to wonder if I am wasting my time with these activities and should focus on other ones instead.  Each week, I am printing few items.  Natalie does enjoy using manipulative (pom poms, buttons, magnets, stickers) to trace the letters.  So I will continue to print a couple large copies of the letter of the week for that purpose, but she is very indifferent about writing no matter the medium (crayon, marker, dry erase, pencil).

Remember, while I do check out a huge stack of books, I don't take out all the ones listed.  This week has a particularly large list since I had a lot of letter F ideas: frogs, fruit, farm, five, fish, feelings and fire!  I pull from what we've already read and own, and then go looking for some new titles.  Starting this week in particular, I've looked for more board books that will also appeal to William. I really love Fletcher and the Falling Leaves.  I purchased this book three years ago and finally now think Natalie is ready for it.  Since it is the first week of October and leaves and changing and falling all around us, I think it would be a good focus to use this book this week. 

Books:
Frog and Toad series by Arnold
Jump, Frog, Jump by Robert Kalan
Little Critter Where is My Frog by Mercer Meyer
Frogs by Gail Gibbons
That's Not My Frog by Fiona Wait
A version of the fairy tale The Frog Prince
I Like Fruit by Lorena Siminovich
Fabulous Fruit by Byrony Jones
Farm Animals by Lucy Cousins
Maisy's Morning on the Farm by Lucy Cousins
A version of Old Mac Donald Had a Farm
Let's Go to the Farm (Fisher Price Little People Lift the Flap)
Color Farm by Lois Elhert
Baby at the Farm by Karen Katz
Five Wishing Stars by Teesha Runnells
Five Little Monkeys series by Eileen Christelow
Five Little Pumpkins (the copy we like best is illustrated by Dan Yaccarino)
Fifteen Animals by Sandra Boynton
Freight Train by Donald Crews
Duck and Goose: How are You Feeling by Tad Hills
The Pigeon has Feelings, Too by Mo Willems
Feelings by Aliki
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr Suess
Hurray for Fish by Lucy Cousins
Fish Eyes by Lois Elhert
Flotsam by David Wiesner
Fancy Nancy series by Jane O'Connor
Franklin series by Paulette Bourgeios
Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson
"Fire! Fire!" Said Mr. McGuire by Bill Martin Jr
 Fire Engine Touch and Feel by DK Publishers  (William really liked this one)
My Mom is a Firefighter by Lois G. Grambling

Activities:
Playdoh (cookie cutter, construct, imprint, trace)
Trace with manipulatives (buttons, magnets, pom poms)
Stickers to trace (dots, fish, flags, fall leaves)
Finding letter F on book titles
Letter F playlist
F as a fall tree
F as a fox
F as a fish













Letter F Playlist:

No comments:

Post a Comment