Usually, you have items from the season before that can be used again. For example, t-shirts from the summer can be worn under a hoodie in the fall. Jeans from the winter can be paired with a new tank top for an especially warm spring day.
To get the most out of what I buy, I make sure that as many of the 14 items for top and bottom mix and match as much as possible. I won't buy something if we don't have an item for which it corresponds. I usually lay the clothes out on the floor in the store and see what goes together. (Hmm, maybe if I did this in a shopping cart I wouldn't look as crazy?)
I avoid items that are only good for a short while, such as capris and one piece outfits.
- 14 tops. A mix of t-shirts and long sleeve.
- 14 bottoms. Jeans, khackis, light sweats. For girls you can also add leggings and tights.
- 5 sweatshirts or sweaters. I like hoodies and cardigans because they are easy on and off, and can be worn open if its not too cold. I also like hoods for sudden cold and rain.
- 7 pairs of socks. After no socks for several months, check for socks in new shoe sizes.
- Shoes. Closed toes.
- 14 pairs of underwear if your child is old enough.
- 4 pairs of pjs. (We wear each two nights). For fall, we do the light weight long sleeve.
- Dresses for a girl.
- Extra shoes.
- Jackets. (Sweatshirts work for us until we need the winter coats)
- Halloween shirts.
- 14 tops. Long sleeve. Some of these might carry over from fall depending on if your child has grown.
- 14 bottoms. Most of the pants could carry over from fall if your child hasn't grown. Add in a few pairs of heavy fleece or sweatpants.
- 7 sweatshirts or sweaters. Winter is when I got the pull overs, but we continue to use the ones from fall over long sleeves.
- 10 pairs of socks. These should carry over as long as your child hasn't grown. Might want to add a few pairs of extra warm socks for playing outside. I add more because socks tend to get wet from snow melting. Tights for girls, especailly if using skirts of dresses.
- 14 pairs of underwear if your child is old enough. These should carry over from fall unless your child has outgrown them.
- 4 pairs of pjs. In winter, we add a couple heavy pj sets.
- 1 or 2 fancy outfits for the holidays including appropriate shoes.
- Winter coat. I recommend buying your coat the spring before when they are on clearance. We also have really liked the ones with a fleece layer on the inside that comes out to be worn as a lighter jacket.
- Shoes. These could carry over from fall.
- Boots. These could be rain boots from fall.
- Hat and mittens / gloves. Multiples if your child plays outside without you.
- Snow pants.
- Several fancy outfits for the holidays.
- Holiday themed every day clothes.
- Dresses. I'll put Natalie's summer dresses over a long sleeve shirt and leggings.
- 14 tops. I get all short sleeves.
- 14 bottoms. Jeans and kahakis. Skirts and leggings for girls.
- 5 Sweaters or sweatshirts. Again, I like cardigans for this season. These can be from the winter.
- 14 pairs of underwear, which could carry over from winter.
- Shoes, if your child has outgrown them.
- 4 pairs of pjs. We switch back to light weight and get at least one pair with short sleeves.
- Fancy clothes for Easter, if you celebrate it. Also might need these if you attend a lot of weddings.
- Raincoat or jacket (sweatshirts and winter coat will probably be enough).
- Rain boots.
- 14 tops. I do a mix of tees and tanks. Tees could carry over from spring.
- 14 bottoms. I get almost all shorts (with some skirts for Natalie). Maybe a pair or two of jeans (or leggings for Natalie) for cooler, rainy days. The warmer stuff can carry over from spring.
- 3 sweaters or sweatshirts. These can carry over from spring.
- Sandals or flip flops.
- 14 pairs of underwear, as needed.
- 4 pairs of pjs. We use short sleeve with pants. If its hot, we take off the bottoms.
- 4 pairs of socks. For rainy or cold days.
- Bathing suit.
- Sun hat.
- Summer is a good time for dresses for girls, if you are going to invest in them.
- One piece outfits for both genders.
- Multiple bathing suits.