Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Lucky Charm Treats




I wanted to make something special for our little play date the day before St Patrick's Day.  I knew you could make cereal bars like Rice Krispie treats pretty easily, so I looked it up.  Turns out the recipe is exactly the same.  I decided to half it knowing that the full yield in the past was too much for us. 



What you need:
  •  3 cups of Lucky Charms (6 if doing a full recipe)
  • 2 cups of mini marshmallows (4 if doing full recipe)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter or margarine (3 tablespoons if doing full recipe)
  • green food coloring
  • large pan to melt and mix in
  • mini muffin tin
  • mini muffin cups
  • metal spoon
  • wax or parchment paper
  • oven mitt or trivet

 What to do:
I had hoped Natalie would be able to help me more, but it was just too sticky and she doesn't like having dirty hands anyway!  She did a great job lining the tins and sucking the melted green marshmallow of the spoon!


  1.  Melt the butter in the pan on low heat.
  2. Add the marshmallows.  Stir them and watch them to prevent them from burning.
  3. Once thoroughly melted and smooth, remove from the heat and place on oven mitt on table / counter.
  4. Stir in a few drops of green food coloring.
  5. Add the cereal and stir.  I added half and then half again. Use a strong spoon.
  6. Scoop into the lined muffin tins.  Try using parchment paper to help you do this because it is very sticky.  You could also butter the spoon or spray it with non-stick cooking spray. 

The yield turned out perfect.  We had enough to fill the two tins including letting us eat some as we went along.   I used mini muffins because our play date is for toddlers and I wanted to moms to easily control how much sugar their kids got, but I originally saw this done with Rice Krispies in large tins



No comments:

Post a Comment