Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What to Bring to the Birth

What to bring for baby:
  • Two or three going home outfits that are different sizes so you can choose the one that fits best. Also, depending on the season, you might want a variety in warmth.
  • A special toy, book, or blanket. We had the book How Do I Love You which I read to Natalie once or twice a day.

What to bring for you:
  • Your insurance card
  • Copy of your birth plan if you've made one, even though we never used ours.
  • Several outfits of comfy clothes, like sweats or pjs. We stayed extra time so my husband had to go home for extra clothes.
  • A few sets of breast pads in case your milk comes in before you leave the hospital.
  • A few maxi pads. I recommend the Always Infinity over nights. They were insanely absorbent without feeling like wearing a diaper. You might need these if you stay more than two days, and you definitely want them waiting at home.
  • One or two nursing bras
  • A nursing pillow. For some reason I talked myself out of bring mine, and I wished later I had so I could start out with it.
  • Camera with extra batteries
  • Cell phone charger
  • Baby book. I left mine at home and wished I'd had it to work on during some of my down time when I couldn't sleep.
  • Snacks. I was always hungry in the middle of the night when up nursing. Also, make sure they are stuff you really like. I had brought only healthy stuff, but when we had to stay extra time, I had my husband bring the things I was really craving from home.
  • Book or other entertainment in case you have down time and can't sleep.
  • Toiletries. You mostly need the basics to stay clean, but you night want to spruce up a bit more for the homecoming.
  • Anything you plan to use during the labor - like massager, hot water bottle, music, etc.
  • Anything that makes you more comfortable / relaxed for sleeping away from home. I brought my Snuffles Bear, but lots of people need their own pillow.
  • Extra plastic or canvas bags. The hospital will give you a lot of free stuff and you might get gifts from visitors. Packing extra bags can make packing to go home a little easier. Also, you might want a plastic bag to segregate any really dirty clothes (spit up, various labor fluids, baby pee, etc) from your other belongings.

What to bring for your spouse / helpers:
  • Several outfits. The last day, Mike had to wear one of my over-sized pj t-shirts because he was out of clean clothes and Natalie spit up all over him.
  • Book or other entertainment for any down time not occupied by sleeping.
  • Snacks
  • Toiletries
  • Phone numbers for the people you want to contact.
  • Medicine, like pain relievers or stomach calmers since, the hospital can only give medicine to mom and baby.
  • Cash for buying food.

No comments:

Post a Comment